Friday, March 23, 2007

Proverbs 11:25 and Pizza Delivery

In today's daily devotion, I read this verse:

Proverbs 11:25 - The generous will prosper; those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed.

If you are a regular reader of this blog, you probably already know what this made me think of. Monday night's delivery to one of my least favorite customers.

This customer never tips. In fact, they are the customer I described at the end of my post on coin change issues. If their order came to $20.23, I have had 2 pennies ready to make change when they gave me the expected $20 and a quarter.

But on Monday night, we had some extra breadsticks at the time their order came up. Now I have to admit I wasn't thinking of the customer. The woman who pays is an older woman but recently there has been a elementary aged girl there also. I'm not sure if this is a granddaughter or what. But it doesn't appear to be the best situation and I was feeling a little sorry for the kid.

Anyhow, I packed up the extra breadsticks and generously, gave them to the customer for free. And this customer who usually does not tip actually gave me the coin change which was 92 cents.

Now 92 cents is certainly not my idea of prospering, but I hope that the customer found the breadsticks refreshing. I know I felt less resentment towards the customer, and after reading my devotions today, I know I did the right thing.

No comments: