Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Closing Time?


Today in the mail I got a copy of Dave Shelson's book, "How to Make Up To $38 Per Hour Delivering Pizza." I can't wait to read it!

I drove tonight, worked 5 hours, took 12 deliveries, drove 40 miles, and made $40 in tips.

You would think I would be in a great mood.

But I had 2 deliveries (or non-deliveries) tonight that have got me steaming.

My first run of the night was pre-paid at the store. That means someone came in, ordered food, paid for it, but couldn't wait the 10 minutes while their pizza was cooked. Usually when this happens they leave a tip for the driver at that time. But no such luck for me, and no tip once I got to their house either.

To top it off, I found out later that they called back to complain, and we sent another driver back out there to pick up their pizza. Now our policy is to never give refunds. But now we took back their food so they certainly can argue that we owe them something. I don't understand why we went back out there to get their food.

From there I had a great night. I made a $12 tip on a $32 order on my 2nd delivery.

I got a $5 tip on my final delivery where the girl paid by credit card and left it blank, then her boyfriend handed me a $5.

I got a $3 tip in a low-rent apartment where I never get tipped. Guy paid me $22 for a $21.xx order then, holding a $10, asked if I had change. I counted off 5 $1's and a $5. He gave me $3 back and then I said "Hey guy I need that $10 too." "Sorry man, I'm tripping" was his reply as he handed me the $10.

But what upset me was as I was washing dishes, the phone rang. "We're open" I said to Nick, the one-time blogger. I looked at my watch, and it said 10:54 PM. Not even close to the 11:00 PM closing time. A couple minutes later, manager Doug (who answered the call), told us that he told them we were closed.

This is like taking money out of my pocket. I earn a good portion of my income in tips. This was a potential tip that we turned away tonight. And possibly they called another pizza place, were served well, and will take their business elsewhere in the future. Who knows how much potential $ I lost tonight.

I mentioned this to Doug and he was bold enough to lie to my face and tell me that it was after 11. I told him no it was not and he said yeah it was.

I have no respect for liars and tonight I learned that Doug is a liar.

Tonight was a bad, bad night.

No comments: