Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Getting Started - Pizza Driver Tools

I don't drive again until Sunday night so I wanted to take a little time and finish a few posts I've had in the back of my head for a while. The first one is on what I call "Driver Tools." Below is a suggested list of what you need to be successful as a pizza delivery driver.

First, the things that are absolutely required.
  • Vehicle - Obviously you need something to transport you and the pizzas around in. Preferrably something that is safe and well maintained, as well as good on gas. I suggest a car that gets at least 30 miles per gallon if you really want to make money.
  • Flashlight - If you deliver at night you will need a flashlight to see the house numbers. I use a rechargable spotlight that costs about $10 at my local auto parts store.
  • Pen - Most pizzerias accept credit cards for delivery. You will have to have a pen so that the customer can sign the credit slip (and add the tip!)
  • Street Map - Getting lost or forgetting where you're going can be costly. Get a map of your delivery area and keep it in your car at all times.

Now the rest of these items may not be necessary, but I think they will help you to be the best driver you can be, and to make the fat cash in tips!

  • Cell Phone - When you get to the address and nobody answers the door, it's handy to have a cell phone to call the customer. Also, your shop may need to call you if someone discovers you've been sent out with the wrong food.
  • Clipboard - I use a small clipboard for credit slips. Many customers appreciate this, not having to write against the door frame. You'll appreciate them not writing on the hood of your car.
  • Car Maintenance Kit - You should have jumper cables, a spare tire, and whatever else you may need to keep your car on the road. Also, I bring my AAA card for situations requireing a tow truck.
  • Delivery Log Book - I write down my mileage, the price of each delivery, the amount of each tip, and whether it was cash or credit. This can be useful if questions arise at checkout time each night, and is necessary if you choose to itemize your taxes.
  • Hotel & Apartment Maps - I carry a map showing the layout of the rooms at each hotel in our delivery area. Driving right up to the customers room will save you time and get you back for the next delivery faster.

There are some other things that I personally don't use but I know others do. Try them and decide for yourself.

  • Satelite Radio - For your enjoyment during those long hours on the road.
  • Energy Drinks & Snacks - I personally just eat whatever crew pie I can find in the store.
  • Extra Sodas (in cooler) - If you find yourself forgetting to bring the Pepsi that the customer ordered, it might pay to keep one in your car just in case.
  • Parmesan Cheese & Red Pepper Packs - Again in case the customer wants them and they didn't get packed with the order, it pays to keep your own stash.
  • Hot Bag - I can't imagine that your shop doesn't supply you with hot-bags, but if they don't, check ebay and get one or two of your own.

Well, that is about all I can think of. If you are a driver, feel free to comment below

4 comments:

MacGyver021 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
MacGyver021 said...

im telling you man, file clips work so much better than a rubber band.
also, sun glasses, its bright as hell out there. and also a windshield scrapper, for winter use only.

>>> Landis, delete my last.

Frosteh said...

after reading "The journey of a quarter" post id say maybe some hand sanitizer, or sanitizing wipes.

Anonymous said...

My kid's carseat doubles as a two liter transport...it prevents the pop from getting too shook up. I seem to lose pens a lot so more than one customer has had to sign in eye liner.