Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Marcus Gunn Jaw-Winking Phenomenon

A few years ago, I was taking a rare sit-down break, having some pizza with a few co-workers. What I saw sort of freaked me out. My friend Nick's eye seemed to open and close when he chewed. It was really odd.

Being not-so-subtle, I asked him about it. He told me he it was called the Marcus Gunn Jaw-Wink, and that he had always had it and he had no control over it.

Well, since I've had this blog, I've been wanting to post a video, not to make fun of Nick, but to share this phenomenon with others who may have this condition, so that hopefully they will feel a little less weird.

Check out the video on YouTube to see Nick's eye in action! I think the video is much cooler than this animation. And a special thanks to Nick for sharing.

8 comments:

EasyW said...

Hey Dude--

I love your blog. Keep up the good work!

MacGyver021 said...

i am now famous and everything... by the way, that hansom devil is me...

Unknown said...

Thank-you so much for sharing your experience. My newborn son was just diagnosed with this syndrome. I was wondering if there are any specific exercises Nick does or has done in the past. Thanks again!!! Laura

Unknown said...

I'm also looking for anyone who has had an infant with this syndrome to get advice from.Thanks

Unknown said...

I'm also looking for anyone who has had an infant with this syndrome to get advice from.Thanks

Unknown said...

Wow. My name is Nick, I used to deliver pizzas and I have jaw-wink syndrome... I was doing a search to learn more about it and found this post. At first, I thought it might be a video of me. Crazy.

EmmaLouise said...

my son is nearly 3 and he was diagnosed with marcuss gunn jaw wink when he was a newborn. he is actually going to the childrens hospital for a check up tomorrow morning(jan 8th 2009).
even though he has this condition, it doesnt affect him in the slightest, if anything hes a bright, bubbly, lively, mischievious child. he knows he has a "funny eye" but he loves it when he looks in the mirror and pulls random faces so his eye opens etc.. i do hope his eye gets better though as i wouldnt want him getting bullied.
Emma

Unknown said...

i'm 24 years old, and i have had this all my life. the best advice i can give to parents is to accept it as just another part of what makes your child unique and special. i never had anyone bully me, or tease me, or anything of that nature. if anything, i get the occasional "COOL!," to which i explain what it is, and then proceed to my normal routine. you really do learn how to control it so it's not SO noticeable. mine is at its worst when i drink liquids, so i do this little squint thing, or sometimes look up, and it's not as bad. it took me a long time to accept it, but think it's something pretty cool.