Monday, May 14, 2007

East Is East, and West Is West ...

... and never the twain shall meet.

That's a line from Rudyard Kipling's poem, The Ballad Of East And West. Tonight it applied to street names as well.

I had a delivery, let's say it was to 1180 East Creek Road. But when I got there, I saw 1170 and 1190 but no houses in between. I called the number and confirmed the address. It was 1180 West Creek Road North. That was about 4 miles away from where I was. To make matters worse, I had a double and had to go another mile away from my final destination, before I could turn around and head for the actual address.

We started off very slow but business picked up around dark. I got a couple decent tips and ended up with a very nice $33 in tips on 10 deliveries over 6 hours of work. I drove 47 miles in all.

One other interesting incident, I had to re-run a pizza to a customer that had tipped $3 the first time. The pizza was a pan-crust veggie-lover and the customer complained that it was "too doughy." Pizzas with alot of toppings don't cook as well, especially alot of vegetable toppings. So we re-made the pizza and pushed it back into the oven for an extra minute or so the 2nd time.

Surprisingly, the customer tipped me $2 for the 2nd trip, saying that they realized it wasn't my fault! Tips on re-runs are rare but appreciated!

No comments: