Tuesday, February 27, 2007

"Never Mind"

First off, a quick story from Sunday night that I forgot to include. I was making a delivery and as I stepped up onto the porch I noticed a big appliance box on it's side with a guy's legs sticking out. Had I walked up to the door without noticing, this box would have been behind me.

But I stopped in my tracks and said loudly, "What's up guy?" A high school aged kid and his dog crawled out and the kid sheepishly said "Never mind."

I'm sure he was hoping to scare me from behind. Kind of funny now but definitely not cool. Pizza delivery can be a pretty dangerous job and some drivers will react quickly to a threat and may even carry a weapon. (I have a stun gun but I rarely take it out from under the seat of my car.)

Back to tonight, I worked 5 hours, took 9 deliveries, drove 42 miles, and made $22 in tips.

Coolest delivery tonight was to a couple of twenty-something girls at the Journey Inn, a low-rent hotel that rents by the day, week, or month. It was a credit card delivery and the first girl signed it and handed it back to me.

"You have to fill out the total even if you don't add on a tip," I said. "It's for your own protection, you know, so nobody adds it in later." The girl then copied the total ($11.83) straight down to the total line, then turned back to her friend and said "Do you want to give a tip?" The friend said "Sure" and the first girl then added $2 to the tip line.

It's always a positive feeling when you get a tip from someone who originally was not going to tip you. Not quite as cool as what happened to driver Desiree tonight. She was serving a pick-up customer at the front counter and got a $1 tip. Those are very rare indeed!

No comments: