Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Basketball, eBay, Dogs, and St. Patrick's Day

What do those 4 things have in common? Probably nothing except that I'm writing about them today.

First, a reminder. I am hosting a FREE contest to pick the NCAA basketball tournament winners. The winner will get a free pizza (or a gift certificate). Sign up at Yahoo!, the group id is 41992 and the password is sausage. We only have 8 entrants so far, so don't be shy, give it a chance!

Next, some family news. My wife's ebay auction is getting some publicity. She was interviewed yesterday and there is an article in the local newspaper!

Finally, to last night's delivery shift. I'm posting late because Nick and I went out to Rack 'N' Roll after work to celebrate St. Patrick's Day and shot a few games of pool. I won the first game but Nick prevailed in the last 2. He's played more than me recently, he even keeps his own cue stick at the bar! Bartender Heather was frustrated as all of their kegs had gone dry except for Miller Lite.

To start the shift, I was late. RTA service was out of whack due to the large number of people leaving Cleveland after the St. Patrick's Day Parade. I observed 2 fights between drunken high school kids on the train on the way home.

When I finally got to work, I drove 4 hours, took 8 deliveries, drove 34 miles, and made $15 in tips. My best tip was $5 on a $20 order at the Super 8 Motel. After that I got 3 stiffs out of my last 4 deliveries.

On my final delivery, when I knocked on the door, a little yelping dog came out from under the couch on the porch. The dog was on a long chain and I quickly retreated down the steps. The people in the house seemed amused that I was "afraid of their little dog". I asked if they were afraid of being sued.

The dog may not bite, but that's not a chance I need to take for any size dog. The customer has the responsibility to control their dog or they can come off their porch and meet me.

No comments: