Thursday, June 19, 2014

Two Orders, One Lousy Tip

There was a major storm in our town tonight.  Trees and branches were down, roads had standing water, and power was out in scattered sections of our delivery area.  Our store did not lose power so deliveries continued.

My next-to-last order of the night was $12.xx in wings to a very nice house in a very nice development.  Zillow tells me the house was built in 2004 and has over 2000 square feet.  Now living in a nice house does not mean you should tip more, just like living in a less expensive house doesn't excuse the customer from tipping less.  But you kind of expect to be treated decently in nicer neighborhoods.

Wrong.  This order tipped one wadded-up dollar bill.

Shortly after I got back to the store, I saw the same address again on the dispatch screen and asked what was wrong.  I expected this was a remake.  No.  A different customer at the same house had ordered again.  Again the order was $12.xx.  Again I took the delivery, but this time no wadded up dollar ... zero tip.

This was a frustrating way to end a decent night.

In 7.9 hours, I drove 65 miles, took 15 deliveries, and made $31 in tips.


No comments: