Waitress: "Which one?"
Manager: "The one with that pizza ..."
I overheard this conversation tonight and it cracked me up. We are a major PIZZA chain. All of our guest checks have pizzas on them!
I worked 4.66 hours, drove 35 miles, took 7 deliveries, and made $20 in tips.
First delivery was a $5 tip ... I arrived at the house about 10 minutes before the customer. I knocked a few times, then called, he was still on his way home from work. I wonder why he didn't just pick it up himself?
Anyhow, I spent the time chatting with the next door neighbor (who shares a driveway) who was sitting out on her side step. She commented, "At least you get a break." To which I replied, "I don't get paid as much when I'm on a break." She asked a few more questions and I got to educate her:
- Drivers get minimum wage.
- Drivers don't get the delivery charge
- Drivers get about $1 per delivery towards car expenses but have to buy their own gas
- I make about half my money on tips
- Most people these days seem to be tipping around $3