Thursday, December 4, 2008

The Curious Story Of The Glasses And The Parking Brake Levers


The night started normally enough and I was dispatched on a run to Taft St. I packed up the bag and headed out. As I drove off I reached for my glasses and couldn't find them in their usual slot in the center-console of my car.

I pulled off to the side into a bank parking lot and checked everywhere. Under my seat. In the back seat. Mixed in with the clothes I changed out of as I was driving here from my day job. Nowhere.

I remembered setting them on my knee as I changed shirts on the way. I wondered if maybe I had left them on my knee and then they fell off in the parking lot. I drove back and looked in the lot where I had parked, and in between my parking spot and the door. Still no luck.

Manager Mike had new driver Rob deliver the order.

Nick came out and helped look and we thoroughly searched my car again. Still no glasses. Now I can see to drive, if I know where I'm going. But I can't really see well enough to pick out house numbers, so I decided to go home and get my contacts.

But before I could leave, Mike needed me to prep some dough that we were about to run out of.

So about 10 minutes later, I was on my way home. I reached over into the slot for the parking brake. I felt my glasses, but I couldn't quite get a grip and pull them out. I drove back to the shop (I had only gone about a mile), stopped, and eventually was able to get the glasses out.

So after about an hour wasted, I finally started out on my first delivery, a double. My next run was also a double, which included the most interesting delivery of the night. It was a credit card order and the guy met me at the door, remarking about how quick it was.

It was a credit card order, and the guy wrote $5 on the tip line. He then told me that he just moved here, and pulled out another $3 cash, for $8 total! I think he may have been trying to "establish" himself as a good tipper.

Unfortunately that was about it, as it was 9PM and I didn't take another delivery until right at 11 PM.

Totals for the night were 4.5 hours, 5 deliveries, $19 tips, and 16 miles. I did cost myself another 2 deliveries due to the lost glasses incident.

1 comment:

Kungfu Tiger said...

ATV / OHV tourism in the Escalante River basin region will prove to be a disastrous policy. We have researched many stories of other communities that are struggling with the many impacts of motorized tourism. There is evidence that it does not bring the economic benefits that are projected; rather it imposes a burden on local residents, stresses voluntary emergency services and enforcement personnel, compromises existing local businesses, creates physical damage to ranch lands, forests and wild lands without funding to restore them, and so on. As a Grand County Commissioner quoted in the 1980s, “We went fishing for a little tourism, and hooked a great white shark.”


ATV
s , Go karts  & Mopedsrecreation has grown considerably in recent years, and is here to stay. Many of our local ranchers depend on
ATVs to access range land and irrigation ditches. We support that use, and likewise the responsible use of
ATVs on designated trails by
receptionists, hunters and fishermen. However the concentration of users, such as at jamborees, or in areas where motorized trails dominate non-motorized trails, can impose unmanageable impacts on scenic land and local communities.

The story so far …. there follows a summary of our engagement in both County and Dixie National Forest initiatives regarding motorized travel planning.