Saturday, November 27, 2010

I Wasn't Even Supposed To Be Here Tonight ...

This is a line from the great movie, Clerks.  It also could be used to describe my night.  Since I was off my day job and already had picked up my kids for the weekend, it was a rare Friday when it would have been easy for me to work.  And Friday's are historicaly the best money-making nights.  So I volunteered to work.

Unfortunately our GM scheduled 3 other drivers.  I think 3 is kind of light for a Friday, but this is not my call.  One of them had called off by Wednesday, so I volunteered to take his spot.  "No, we'll be ok with 2."

Really?  OK, I offered to at least call in, or stop by.  So tonight I got my uniform on and dropped in around 5:15.  Manager Mike met me up front saying we'd be ok with 2 drivers tonight.  I didn't clock in and went to the back to say hi to GM Ady.  Just then 1 of the 2 drivers said he was sick.  Ady said he should go home and I could work for him.  And then it started.

By the end of the night, I had taken 35 deliveries (2nd most ever, I think), driven 67 miles, made $82 in tips, all in just 7.42 hours on the clock.  Twice in a row I went out the door with 8 deliveries!  I'm not sure I've ever taken more than 5 or 6 at once before.

The funniest thing that happened all night was when I was walking across someone's yard, I stepped on a squeaky dog toy.  I was afraid I'd stepped on a cat or some other animal, it was so loud and big and squishy!

Another unique thing was coming to a customer's door and seeing the man and woman slow-dancing together in the living room, right in front of the door!  I apologized for interrupting and the man said it was ok, they were expecting me!

Out of 33 deliveries: (2 didn't count towards the tip tally)
3 stiffs (no tip)
4 $1 tips
13 $2 tips
7 $3 tips
2 $4 tips
3 $5 tips (all in the first 6 deliveries of the night)

No comments: