Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Odd Or Even

So on Saturday night I had a delivery to 221 Rhode Island. I go to 205 Rhode Island all the time so I knew right where it should be. Houses are numbered by the 2's there, I went around the corner and saw 223 and noticed the house before it was all lit up, so I pulled in.

Knock, knock, knock, but nobody answers. I call the customer but get voicemail. I get back in my car and call the store to see if there was anything strange about the order, but nobody knew anything. So I returned, set it on top of the oven, and took my next delivery.

About 45 minutes later, they call back and said, yes they were home and 221 was the correct number. Manager Alison decides to remake the pizza and as luck would have it I get to go again. Fine, I knew right where it was. Again, it's lit up but no cars, then I notice the house number. 219! I check again the house next door and it is indeed 223. I start looking in between to see if there's a house in back, a garage, a doghouse, anything.

Just then I see out of the corner of my eye a woman approaching the car. She waves me back across the street. I look back, and sure enough, right there between 220 and 222 is 221. On the even side of the street!

I ask the lady, "How in the world did you get a house on the even side of the street!"

"I don't know, I just moved in and I forgot to tell you" was her reply.

"Well I will put a note on your address as soon as I get back." Which I did.

This is the only house I know of in our delivery area that is on the wrong (numbered) side of the street.

No comments: